Re: Gen-art LC review: draft-mahalingham-dutt-dcops-vxlan-08

Hi Stewart.

> At the time when I was getting this ready for the IESG, there was a strong
> view by the IESG that the IETF stream should not be used to publish
> this type of document, i.e. that this type of draft should go to the
> ISE. The view was that there were far too many AD sponsored drafts.
> There was also a strong view expressed to me that the concept of IETF
> consensus (necessary for AD sponsorship) was inappropriate if the
> IETF could not change the technical solution, which it could not do if
> the document was describing an existing deployed system.

If the above is really the case, I would have expected an IESG note to
the community documenting/proposing that position and allowing the
community to comment, as it seems to me to be a significant change in
policy and/or exisiting practice. Did I miss such a note?

And on this specific point:

> There was also a strong view expressed to me that the concept of IETF
> consensus (necessary for AD sponsorship) was inappropriate if the
> IETF could not change the technical solution, which it could not do if
> the document was describing an existing deployed system.

This would be a very significant change in policy wrt what the IETF
has historically published. I would not expect the IESG to make such a
shift unilaterally without significant consultation with the
community.

Thanks!

Thomas