Re: quaint old computers, was "Archived-At" headers

On 3/15/14, 2:24 AM, John C Klensin wrote:

> --On Friday, March 14, 2014 20:43 +0000 John Levine
> <johnl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>> I don't  - I just like guidance on what to upgrade to e.g
>>> will XP stop working in April when it goes out of currency?
>>
>> No, but they'll stop fixing security bugs, so you'll fairly
>> soon be pwn3d.
>>
>> Perhaps you could splurge on a ?200 Windows 7 laptop, or check
>> out the wonders of Ubuntu.
>
> --On Friday, March 14, 2014 14:04 -0700 Douglas Otis
> <doug.mtview@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>  A real concern is the vast majority industrial controls such
>> as ATMs using Windows XP.  It seems this somewhat hidden
>> segment of the market lacks effective incentives.
>
> John and Doug,
>
> It is not clear to me that this is a useful topic for the IETF
> list, but...
>
> I'm deeply sympathetic to Microsoft's issues with trying to
> maintain an old operating system that has a well-deserved
> reputation for being bug- and security-hole-ridden (albeit not
> as bad as some of its predecessors).  At the same time, some of
> us have a strong preference for machines in the class most
> recently known as "netbooks" -- screens in the 7 - 9 inch range,
> maybe stretching to 10 or 10.1, but no larger; weight under 1 Kg
> including power supply "bricks"; real (as distinct from

John,

I've got an asus eee of the second or third generation right here. I
don't much care for existential ennui about newly unsupported operating
systems, what I run is my business frankly. It runs ie8/current firefox
and chrome without drama.  I'm not sure that my expectations about what
constitutes a functional internet connected personal computer are
closely tied to what os it runs.