Re: [Internetgovtech] Guiding the Evolution of the IANA Protocol Parameter Registries

At 21:50 12/03/2014, Geoff Huston wrote:
But I don't think we need to cross every bridge here - we can at best set forth our values and principles on the day and hope that our successors at least consider what we were trying to achieve and why we thought it to be important as they make their changes to suit their world. These principles appear to be an earnest effort in that direction.

Geoff,
as such I am afraid they do not belong to the internet. RFC 1958 defines the principles of the Internet architecture. The first of these principles is the principle of constant change: "The principle of constant change is perhaps the only principle of the Internet that should survive indefinitely".

It seems that this principle invalidates your entire claim as what you want to protect (IETF protocols) is based on the idea that they are published to be continously adapted. This puts them outside of any copyright (as something being used, supported, parametered, etc.) but fully subject to initial author rights?
jfc