Re: how do we make the IETF working language work?

> If I may step out of the bikeshed for a moment, the editing part is
> much harder than using whatever software checks in the edits.

> My wife has a steady side job editing (or often rewriting) theses for
> foreign graduate students.  These students are plenty smart, and they
> know their topic, but they are mostly from east Asia and their English
> grammar is not good.

> Editing these is a lot of work, and invariably requires multiple
> passes to go back and ask what they meant and rewrite the parts that
> need it.  This is something that IETFers with good English can do, but
> it's significant work, and the final document is different enough from
> the original that Word-style diff marks would only tell you that a
> whole lot has changed.

+100

This is exactly what I was trying to say; John just said it better than I did.
Editing someone else's work competently means seeing things from their
perspective, at least to some extent. This is difficult even with someone you
know well; with someone you don't know well and from a different culture
it's really quite difficult and takes a *lot* of time.

When I start a serious editing pass on a document I usually start by reading it
several times, carefully, from beginning to end. (If I'm already familiar with
the document I read it backwards to try and prevent my eyes from sliding over
issues.) I then wait at least a day, sometimes two, then read it again. Only
then will I start to edit.

Sometimes the toolset really is critical; in this case it's a niggle.

In fact I'll go so far as to say that if you think the editing part is simple
and easy you're not doing it right.

				Ned