Re: Web Anniversary

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 1:06 PM, Ofer Inbar <cos@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Seems odd that W3C picked the date of the submission
of a proposal document as the birthday to celebrate.
  -- Cos

They didn't

The PR people chose the date as 'a birthday to celebrate'. We have only just finished the 20th anniversaries. Since there was a 5 year span from the initial proposal to the launch of Mosaic and the first Web Conference there is an anniversary almost every year:

Let n be an integer > 0

1989 + 5*n  First Proposal Document
1990 + 5*n  URIs and HTTP invented
1991 + 5*n  First Web server outside CERN
1992 + 5*n  First public demonstration at the CHEP'92 conference in Annecy
1993 + 5*n  The first Web conference, incorporation of W3C

We don't celebrate every Web Birthday, we just have five different dates that are celebrated once every 5 years.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/