RE: IETF working language

Yes, language is backwards compatible and scales up in complexity.
That's how we all learned it. But...

> What creates a good communication is when the most comfortable person
> in the exchange brings his own level down to the level of the least
> comfortable person.

That works well for one-to-one communication to get things across clearly
to the disadvantaged participant. It works less well in groups, where the
disadvantaged participant disrupts and holds back discussion.

If a four-year-old joined ietf@xxxxxxxx, would we be required to try
and explain networking and the IETF to the four year old at a four-year-old's
level, or would we try and arrange a playdate for the four year old so that
the adults could converse in peace?

I have no objection to a hypothetical four-year-old sitting quietly,
following along, and trying to learn from the conversation. But if the four
year old throws tantrums, well...

professional conduct requires a minimum level of operational fluency
for useful interaction.

Lloyd Wood
http://about.me/lloydwood