Re: "Archived-At" headers

Hi Brian,

On 2014-03-08 16:07 Brian E Carpenter said the following:
> Henrik,
>
> I find the new archive highly inconvenient for reviewing a thread
> or a chronological sequence on a given list. This can be done
> at glance with the old archives with one line per message. With
> the new one, it's matter of figuring what filter to set up. I have
> found it *much* harder to find a particular thread than with the
> old archive.

Ok.  I thought we'd provided for this, but if what we've done isn't good
enough, we may need to do something more about it.

The intention was that the 'Group by Thread' button above the list of
messages, to the left of the search field, should provide a thread view.

However, I find that for the main IETF list, getting a thread-sorted
view is unbearably slow, while it works OK for the WG lists I've just
checked.  Personally I find that I still miss some kind of indication
of where each thread starts, though.

> Please consider providing a subject-threaded and a topic-threaded
> view of a single list into the new archive. We definitely need
> a view equivalent to this one for every list:
> http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/apps-discuss/current/maillist.html

That's the date/time sorted view of the old archive.  If I in the new
archive (taking the long route here, to make sure that my assumptions
are explicit ) go to the main page:

  https://mailarchive.ietf.org

and click on 'browse' underneath the search field, I get to the page
listing all the list archives:

  https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/

Here I click on the list in your example, 'apps-discuss', which gives
me a (by default) date-sorted view of the apps-discuss list, where I
see a list of the latest messages for apps-discuss.  I can scroll the
message list pane, to see earlier messages, and also expand the list
page to show a larger number of messages at one time.  (There's a bug
which doen't fill the list pane fully if you expand the size beyond the
preloaded list entries, but this will be fixed shortly.)

I've enclosed a screen capture image to illustrate what I see at this
point.

> A generalised search tool does not provide the same convenience.

Agreed; it was our intention to provide also thread-grouped views,
and the list date-ordered view I described above.

> Also it would be handy to have a way to download a raw archive.

This should be available from the 'Export' dropdown in the upper right-
hand corner, in both mbox and (gzipped tar) Maildir format; if used for
an unfiltered list view it should export the list archive; if used with
a search it should export the search results.

Best regards,

	Henrik