Re: A suggestion for future Technical Plenaries

On Mar 6, 2014, at 11:19 AM, John Levine <johnl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I suppose, but he's been around long enough that he really shouldn't
> have been surprised.

He took it pretty well—I was the one who was embarrassed.

> Personally, I'd have tolerated the talk a lot
> better if he opened the kimono a wee bit and told us how he was
> planning to do digital signatures everywhere in a way that scaled,
> worked for people who aren't megageeks, etc.  It's not like it's news
> to anyone here that signatures are dandy if you can get stuff signed
> in the first place.

Yeah, it was frustrating that he didn't go deeper into what he had in mind.   Also frustrating that he thinks what he described is patent-worthy, given all the prior discussions of similar technology in the existing literature.

> On a more positive note, the first talk wasn't flashy, but it was a
> nice overview of the issues that people will need to deal with in
> succesful online payments system.  It was, for example, helpful to me
> when he pointed out that a remarkable number of electronic payments
> are already among people who don't have bank accounts and aren't
> likely to have one any time soon.

The first talk was great.   I found it quite useful, even though I already know quite a bit about electronic payments online.   It could have been aimed at a little more knowledgable audience—a lot of it was review for me, but it was still good and worth doing.