Re: Call for Review of draft-iab-doi-01.txt, "Assigning Digital Object Identifiers to RFCs"

>I said that a more robust system would require only the
>specification of the DOI that would be used to retrieve automatically
>all the metadata associated with the work  (I understand that this is
>possible, although I never tried it).

Yes, it's true.  Every DOI is a URL like http://dx.doi.org/10.123456/foo.bar.
If you fetch it up normally it redirects you to the document, typically a
page at the publisher with the abstract and a link to buy it, or in our case
links to the RFC in various forms.

If you fetch it and ask for "Accept: text/bibliography; style=bibtex" or
application/json, you get the bibliographic data in bibtex or JSON.  It's
pretty handy.

R's,
John