Re: Call for Review of draft-iab-doi-01.txt, "Assigning Digital Object Identifiers to RFCs"

On Mar 4, 2014, at 2:37 PM, IAB Chair <iab-chair@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> This is a call for review of "Assigning Digital Object Identifiers
> to RFCs" prior to potential approval as an IAB stream RFC.
>
> The document is available for inspection here:
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-iab-doi/
>
> The Call for Review will last until 2 April 2014.
> Normally, we ask for comments to go to the IAB mail list, but for
> this document, it is more appropriate to use the RFC Interest list.
> Please send comments to rfc-interest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
>
> On behalf of the IAB,
> Russ Housley
> IAB Chair

Question on the document. I'm in favor of DOIs based on what I understand the benefits to be, but it seems to me that the benefit is stated in a manner that isn't very clear.

The statement, in the final paragraph of the introduction, is that it makes an RFC easier to search and to cite. I believe that this is true for a specific constituency, which is to say "academics". The use of a DOI makes it easier for them to get academic credit for having written an RFC in the sense of publishing a peer-reviewed paper, and it makes it easier for them to find such papers.

Do I have the benefit down correctly? Are there other benefits, or other constituencies?

To my way of thinking, adding a sentence or two in the introduction making the benefit specific would be a good thing. I'm not opposed to publication as it stands, but I think the clarity would be beneficial.