Re: Clarifying IETF process [Was: A private club]

Theodore Ts'o <tytso@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 09:57:55AM -0500, John Leslie wrote:
>> Donald Eastlake <d3e3e3@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>] 3. Eighty Percent of Success is Showing Up
>>]...
>>
>> We cannot reasonably hope to change human nature -- least of all by
>> writing one RFC -- but surely we can do something to ameliorate this
>> economic disincentive?
>
> I've always thought this is a feature, but a bug.

   (Quoted without comment...)

> The reality is that there are a huge numbers of net.kooks out there.

   Oh my! :^( :^(

> It may be politically incorrect to say that, but it's true.

   Absolutely! Just count those Linux kooks!

   ;^)

> So if you are trying to pariticpate remotely, it's possible, but you
> have to be really, really good with your technical presentations,
> your evidence, with sample implementations, perhaps a huge installed
> base, etc.

   Umm...

   You're welcome to think that, if it makes you feel better...

> (And funny that, if you have all of this, it's likely that some
> company will be quite willing to fund you to show up to an IETF
> meeting.)

   You're welcome to think that, too...

> Other standards committees have other ways of filtering out kooks.

   "Born: 1968"... You must have been around in the 1990's...
Anyone who lived through Usenet should have learned _many_ ways to
filter out "kooks"...

> ...  Quite frankly, I find the IETF setup of requiring the investment
> of in-person face time to be a far better way of solving the "how do
> you filter out the koooks and make progress while still being open"
> than what I've seen in other standards settings processes.

   But _my_ question is, why does the "IETF" need to filter out the
"kooks?"

--
John Leslie <john@xxxxxxx>