Re: Ad hominems (was: Policy of WG chairs in organising time for presentations and face2face discussions)

On 2/24/2014 1:30 PM, Noel Chiappa wrote:
If so, that's odd: I myself found it 'bloody rude' (well, actually, I'd use a
slightly different term, but hey...) for someone to make suggestions on how
to improve our meeting process when they have really no experience of it.

You are free to have any reaction you want, about the person or what they say.

You are free to have reactions that are well-founded or not.

However you should not be free to voice whatever you want publicly, in a professional environment that expects professional demeanor.

In such an environment there need to be constraints on the content of speech, and an essential constraint is to largely refrain from ad hominems. Or at least to be extremely careful about introducing comments or questions about a speaker.

This does not require a sterile communications environment. It's possible to conform to this constraint while still having a personable community.

d/
--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking