Re: Policy of WG chairs in organising time for presentations and face2face discussions

On 24 Feb 2014, at 15:38, Adrian Farrel <adrian@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Abdussalam could usefully clarify whether he means "limit the presentation time
> of an I-D" or "limit the time spent on an I-D".
>
> But in either case, I think that I would prefer to see the opposite to such
> limitations. I would like to see technical topics that the WG needs to discuss
> receive plenty of agenda time (and that to include as much presentation time as
> is needed to seed the discussion and explain the authors' and others' positions
> on a topic), while I would prefer to avoid presentations of "this is the status
> of my draft" and "this is what my draft says" which can be mugged up in advance
> by reading the I-Ds.
>
> In fact, I am increasingly weary of catalogues of 5 minute presentations (to the
> point of wondering whether to fire chairs for this - RTG Area chairs take note!
> :-) I know it is "important" to be on an agenda if you are going to travel to an
> IETF meeting. I know it is "important" to show that you are making a
> contribution to the WG. But we have to get over it!

Adrian,

I can't speak to the "important to be on the agenda" issue, but I will say this:

F2f time is too valuable to be spent on issues that could have been brought up and (attempted) resolved on the mailing-list, as well as presentations that just serve to list "so I changed these 42 things since last meeting" summaries. They actually are extremely un-productive (although I do get a lot of email processed when sitting through one of those) ....especially since RFCDIFF is both more precise, and in colour ;)

I'd probably prefer that all that could be (attempted) resolved on the mailing-list should be (attempted) resolved on the mailing-list - and, only if that fails is agenda-time for the f2f sessions warranted - and on issues, not on "documents".

Useful use of f2f time is also "presenting brand new work" - but only once - to gain traction and such in order to take it onto the list.

That said, IETF meetings do punctuate and foster some "sprints to finish things before a deadline", and so an overview of status probably is appreciated. I believe that this (in some WGs) is very well done by the WG chairs in their "WG Status" slot - but, even better, actually announced on the list in advance (on that note, I want to tip my hat to the ROLL WG chairs here: Ines and Michael have whipped their WG to submitting slides already, constructed a complete deck for the whole meeting, and prepared a handful or so of slides listing the "status": active documents, open issues, related, for the beginning - close to perfect organisation ...).

One other thing that I occasionally find useful to spend F2F time on: summarising out-of-band discussions such as what often happens through IESG reviews, especially if managing to get the AD in question to show up and argue her/his points.

Best,

Thomas