Re: anti-harassment procedures

Hi

On Thu 20/Feb/2014 21:56:38 +0100 Jari Arkko wrote:

> I know this topic is hard to discuss. Hopefully there are very few
> situations where these procedures are needed, but they are needed.
> I thank you for your help and respectful input into this difficult
> but important discussion.

A couple of comments:

>                     IETF Anti-Harassment Procedures
>                    draft-farrresnickel-harassment-00
>

>    The following terms are used in this document:
>
>       Reporter: An IETF participant who reports potential harassment to
>       the Ombudsperson.

You mean "harassment or potential harassment", don't you?

I suggest a fifth definition, grouping the persons --Target(s) or
Reporter(s)-- who started or were involved in a case.  For example:

   Harassed Subject:  The Target or the Reporter if there is no
   individual Target.

>    The Ombudsperson is expected to be present at the majority of IETF
>    meetings and to be available for face-to-face discussions.

In that case, it might be practical to consider Ombudsperson deputies,
nominated by the Ombudsperson directly, possibly for a single
meeting/event only.

>    All information brought to the Ombudsperson shall be kept in strict
>    confidence.

Yes, unless the Harassed Subjects agree to publish it.  I see no
reason to make it necessarily confidential in every case.  In some
cases, public disapprobation can save the day (see below).

>    Any electronic information (such as email messages) that
>    needs to be archived shall be encrypted before it is stored.

Since this is not a technical memo, it could suffice to say that the
Ombudsperson will use adequate precautions when transmitting or
archiving confidential information.

>    When a Reporter brings an incident of potential harassment to the
>    Ombudsperson's attention to, the Ombudsperson will discuss the events
>    with the Reporter and may give advice including recommendations on
>    how the Reporter can handle the issue on their own and strategies on
>    how to prevent the issue from arising again.  The Ombudsperson may
>    also indicate that the issue would be best handled using regular IETF
>    procedures (such as those for dealing with disruptive behavior)
>    outside the context of harassment, and in this case the Ombudsperson
>    will provide assistance in using the relevant IETF procedures.  In
>    any event, the Ombudsperson will not initiate detailed investigations
>    or impose a remedy without agreement to proceed from the Target (or
>    the Reporter if there is no individual Target).

This is yet another place where the fifth definition comes handy.

>    After examining the circumstances regarding the complaint of
>    harassment and determining that harassment has taken place, the
>    Ombudsperson is expected to choose a remedy that is appropriate to
>    the circumstance.  At one end of the spectrum, the Ombudsperson may
>    decide that the misbehavior is best handled with the regular IETF
>    procedures for dealing with disruptive behavior and may assist the
>    Reporter to bring the issue to the attention of the working group
>    chair or IESG member who can deal with the incident.  The
>    Ombudsperson might also choose simply to discuss the situation with
>    the Respondent and come up with a plan such that there is no repeat
>    of the harassment.  With the agreement of both parties, the
>    Ombudsperson can also help to mediate a conversation between the
>    Respondent and the Target (or the Reporter if there is no individual
>    Target) in order to address the issue.

In such circumstances, the Ombudsperson can devise a punishment or
penitence to be inflicted to the Respondent.  Anything like a slap on
the wrist or having the Respondent stand naked on the stage and
publicly apologize for his/her misconduct will do, so long as the
Harassed Subjects agree that it is appropriate.  Of course, the
Ombudsperson has no legal power to enforce a punishment, but the
Respondent's willingness to receive it voluntarily is to be considered
when making further decisions on the case.

jm2c
Ale