Re: draft naming was RE: anti-harassment procedures

--On Thursday, February 20, 2014 21:22 +0000 l.wood@xxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

> An annoying trend:
>
>                    IETF Anti-Harassment Procedures
>                    draft-farrresnickel-harassment-00
>
> should have been farrel-resnick
> When trying to locate drafts by author name, or pick up on
> primary authors for indexing, or indicate drafts from memory,
> this cutesiness really doesn't help.

Actually, if we were following the historical and IMO very
useful rules, it would be either "draft-farrel-harassment..." or
"draft-resnick-harassment...".   The difficulty with adding
multiple author names becomes obvious as soon as there are three
or four authors.

I've often wished that the submission tool would check a table
for a small number of organizational tags (ietf, iab, etc.) and,
if the first string after "draft-" didn't appear there, check it
against the first author name.  It would be fairly easy to
verify that "draft-ietf-" was followed immediately by a
short-form WG name too.  If documents that didn't satisfy those
criteria went to manual posting and required an explanation to
the secretariat, I think the cutesiness would mostly stop in a
hurry.  If would also stop "draft-<made-up-organization>-..."
which, IMO, would be a real service to the community.

    john