Re: Agenda, security, and monitoring

Hi all,

this might be a totally stupid question, but I am gonna ask it anyway:
I know it is not as sexy as end point encryption, but we could also
concentrate on just filling the last gaps of a fully functional
encryption on all hops (clientA->mailserverA->mailserverB-clientB).
Recently, I get the feeling the maturity of mail-servers, DNS etc. could
actually allow for a worldwide deployment of this. And current levels of
spam and mass surveillance might be the trigger points needed to get
that widely deployed if we fill in a few minor gaps.
Today, basic client to server encryption is fairly trivial and already
widely in use.
And we could also work to get a predominant mail-server to mail-server
encrypted connection for all nodes, using TLS and certs pinned for the
domain read from DNS (or DNSSEC) or on first connect. That could
probably raise the efforts for pervasive mail eavesdropping quite a bit.

I know it is not as good as end-point to end-point encryption, and your
mail server and the recipient's mail server would still need to be
trusted systems, but it would be totally transparent for normal users
(which PGP is not) and the effort to get this done and deploy this
worldwide might be reasonable low. Plus it might have the added benefit
of reducing spam as well.

Just a thought.

Tobias