GRE in UDP - traffic distribution ( was RE: [tsvwg] [mpls] OT (was Re: draft-ietf-mpls-in-udp)

Sasha,

> But I would like to understand whether this protocol can really result in
> reasonable distribution of traffic. "Reasonable" means that (a) there is
> sufficient entropy and (b) that the order in specific micro-flows is
> preserved. The draft skips this issue (unless you consider a recommendation to
> use a fixed  randomly selected source port value if the tunnel does not need
> ECMP a valid answer) .

Well, there's a bit more in the draft than just a "randomly selected" value,
as the ability to use ECMP on these tunnels is rather important (text quoted
is from Section 3 in the draft):

   The ingress device SHOULD set
   the UDP source port based on flow invariant fields from the payload
   header, otherwise it should be set to a randomly selected constant
   value, e.g. zero, to avoid packet flow reordering.  How a tunnel
   ingress generates entropy from the payload is outside the scope of
   this document.

I suppose that more discussion and examples of "flow invariant fields"
would be useful, although an attempt at a comprehensive listing would be
pointless, IMHO.  An important situation is one where the tunnel ingress
"knows" (because the network operator actually does know) what the protocol
stack(s) is/are for the encapsulated traffic (e.g., HTTP/TCP/IP/GRE/IP) and
hence can find the flow-invariant fields that it wants to use for that
(those) specific stack(s).

With good selection of flow-invariant fields wrt traffic mix, good
distribution is possible.

Thanks,
--David