RE: [mpls] draft-ietf-mpls-in-udp was RE: gre-in-udp draft (was: RE: [tsvwg] Milestones changed for tsvwg WG)

Lloyd and Randy,

With respect to draft-ietf-mpls-in-udp, this is why we have IETF last calls, so
thanks for the comments.

We did take the precaution of sending this I-D for an early TSV Directorate
review because of the concern about a number of factors and the overlap with
tsvwg work, but the review came back "clean". Of course, such a review is just
one person, so this conversation is good.

Wrt zero checksum, where do you stand on nested checksums? There is some claim
that they represent a waste of processing. I am not convinced by that when each
layer is using dedicated hardware (that can presumably process checksums at line
speed), but I am interested in the consequences for cheap hardware and for
software implementations (as have been claimed to be some of the motivations for
this work).

Other TSV-related issues that surely pop up are:
- allocation of ports for foo-in-UDP
- congestion control

Please note that there are a number of I-Ds that you missed in your broad sweep
of "I am opposed". You should probably look at the NVGRE and VXLAN work (which I
think is lurking around the NVO3 working group) because that is also looking at
UDP encaps of a tunnelling protocol.

Thanks,
Adrian

Health warnings:
I am responsible AD for draft-ietf-mpls-in-udp
I am a co-author of the gre-in-udp draft.