Re: Split the IANA functions?

On Jan 6, 2014, at 5:45 PM, Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 01/06/2014 08:51 PM, John Curran wrote:
>>
>> What happens when the IETF makes a decision that particular "public policy" requirements
>> are _to be considered_ (perpass), or specifically _not to be considered_ (RFC 2804) in protocol
>> development?
>
> I think that's a mis-characterisation. IMO both of those are cases
> where there are sound technical reasons for the IETF to do, or not
> do, work. Yes, those have impacts, but the public policy angle (if
> that's the right term) is a side-effect and is not the reason for
> the decision.

Stephen -

 I did not mean to imply that the primary driver was the IETF taking
 on a public policy matter; only that the decision being made (even
 if on a sound technical basis) have real public policy implications,
 and thus will attract interest of many non-technical parties, including
 governments.

/John

Disclaimer: My views alone.