Re: Last Call: <draft-farrell-perpass-attack-02.txt> (Pervasive Monitoring is an Attack) to Best Current Practice

Dear colleagues:

While I do agree with some of the underlying sentiments of the draft, I am not that happy with the somewhat sloppy exposition of the draft, in particular to what problem one really wishes to address (see #1, #2 below). Moreover, I feel that the implicit suggestion of the draft that one should take an almost binary approach to addressing passive attacks may be detrimental at achieving a solid security architectural design (it should be a proper balancing, rather than 0-1 thinking w.r.t. one of many security architectural considerations).

In my mind, the draft needs to be more carefully written, so as to make intent and grey scales of proposed design metrics clearer. More details below.

Some technical comments:

1) In Section 1, 3rd para, the term "attack" (in the context of pervasive monitoring) is too broadly defined: pervasive monitoring is (an extreme form of) monitoring and, thereby, an attack form that has been dubbed (decades ago) in the cryptographic literature as an attack by a *passive* adversary. (The fact that this may happen on a massive scale does not change its nature.) In the draft, though, one seems to lump this together with other attack forms, where a passive adversary may exploit insights gathered from passive attacks to subsequently facilitate an active attack (witness the use of "to enforce the opponent's will on the attacked party" in 3rd para, 3rd line or "that subverts the intent of a communicator without the agreement of the parties to the communication" in 3rd para, 6th line). The latter is an *active* attack, which is not part of pervasive monitoring itself (but only may take advantage of this). With passive attacks, in most cases (e.g., when using wireless communications) the presence or absence of an passive adversary cannot be distinguished. I would strongly suggest using proper notions and avoiding confusing and ill-defined terms (for definitions, see, e.g., Definition 12.15 of the Handbook of Applied Cryptography (CRC Press, 1995)). Shouldn't one simply change the title of Section 1 to the (somewhat obvious) statement "Pervasive monitoring is Indistinguishable from a Passive Attack" or "Pervasive Monitoring Cannot Be Distinguished From Non-Monitoring, So One Should Prepare For the Worst"?

2) In Section 1, 4th para, if the intent of the draft is to also raise awareness of active (pervasive) attacks, it should say so clearly and not suggest, as it seems to do right now, that this is due to "pervasive monitoring" (since, as already said, this is a misnomer). Here, again, though, this is nothing new by itself: security services need to be in place where the interests of communicating parties, including the communicating networks used by these parties (and lurking adversaries therein) are not aligned. I would suggest emphasizing, far more than currently done, the role pervasive monitoring could play in paving the way towards providing useful insight to make a subsequent (or interactive) active attack more successful, since that seems to be one of the underlying currents of the draft.

3) In Section 1, 1st para, it is stated that " [...] that this was an attack that should be mitigated where possible via the design of protocols that make pervasive monitoring significantly more expensive or infeasible". While I wholeheartedly agree that protocol design should include privacy-relevant objectives (such as hiding header info and meta-data), to me it seems this should always have been in the security services objective list with security and communication protocol design and it is somewhat surprising to see that this apparently is something new (or, do I read this in the wrong way?). Isn't the main change between the pre-Snowden and post-Snowden era that one is now aware that would should attach more weight to security objectives one may very well have unrightfully ignored in the past??? I am really concerned that this becomes now a single quest at the detriment of other security objectives one may wish to cater to. After all, with security and communication protocol design, one should balance different objectives according to deployment scenario at hand and there are many, many considerations that could play a role. To this point, I already expressed concern in an email of September 6th (see http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/perpass/current/msg00099.html) that, e.g., trying to avoid traffic analysis by making all frames the same size would be disastrous for applications in a highly constrained setting ("internet of things", "smart objects", and the-like); I also epressed some other concerns with respect to binary thinking here (see the link). I would therefore suggest to express the desire of IETF-88 somewhat more intelligently and stipulate, e.g., that protocol should properly consider security objectives and weigh these and allow security policy settings to be picked so as to, indeed, enable more privacy-aware deployments. This is mostly a security policy issue, though, and should less so be a fixed setting of a security protocol itself. One could dub this "security policy agility" vs. "crypto agility" if one wishes.... (Note: TLS is an example of a somewhat unfortunate design here, where one has no security policy agility to hide lots of parms in the protocol flows at all). The main point of post-Snowded would then be that the "security policy agility" should include the policy to enable privacy protection to one's heart content.

4) Section 2, 2nd and 3rd para, seems to be a somewhat hidden admission that, perhaps, IETF itself may in the past not have done as good a job as it could have in considering and weighing all security objectives. After all, notions of passive and active attacks have been around for decades, but apparently some of this has been not taken too seriously for a while, or would have been considered "too expensive" to implementers or vested interests? It can hardly be considered news that, e.g., if one does not use adequately secured packets, then visible parts may be eavesdropped upon, etc. Right now, it reads as if one is indignified even in case one sends entirely unsecured packets and that this, surprise, surprise, may be vulnerable to attack. To some network people, it may be considered news if protocol messages do not behave as specified. To security people, this should be second nature: after all, all networks and network components should be considered as gigantic security engines, without constraint on actors on the communication channel.

5) Section 2, 5th para, seems to be an admission that protocol design should intelligently weigh design objectives (e.g., so as not to rule out monitoring for network monitoring purposes). So, if this means one wishes to cater for "security policy agility" as I alluded to above, so much the better.

Best regards, Rene