Re: Last Call: <draft-farrell-perpass-attack-02.txt> (Pervasive Monitoring is an Attack) to Best Current Practice

On 02/01/2014 00:41, Yoav Nir wrote:
> On Jan 1, 2014, at 12:32 PM, Russ White <russw@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>>      We should not approve an IETF policy statement
>>>     until we have a good idea of the way we will use it.
>> I'm struggling a bit with this statement -- it seems just as broad as the
>> draft under discussion, and just as much of a "policy" as the draft under
>> discussion.
>>
>> What does a "good idea," actually mean?
>
> I guess a "good idea" would be a checklist for document authors, document shepherds, and IESG members on what they need to consider in a document to ascertain whether it complies with this BCP nn.

IMHO that is exactly the wrong goal for this draft, which is a statement of
aspiration. I would expect the checklist to come from much more technical
documents to be developed over time.

I'm close to concluding that the present draft should not be a BCP at all,
just as RFC 1984 and RFC 2804 were not BCPs. Since it is derived from an
IAB-organised plenary, why not just make it an IAB stream Informational
document co-signed by the IESG? (With a few cosmetic text changes.)
Just get it published so that we can do the real work, as Randy says.

   Brian