RE: [IETF] IPv6 deployment [was Re: Recent Internet governance events]

Robin,

> Robin Whittle wrote:
> Nothing has changed in the last 15 years or more:

Although I agree with most of what you wrote and won't comment on it (not worth the time going back into our collective past mistakes in detail), I do not agree with you on that one sentence:

> Robin Whittle wrote:
> Nothing has changed in the last 15 years or more

A lot has changed.

- 15 years ago, there was all this capital money pouring down from the sky if you could barely spell "Internet". Gone with the dotcom bust. Darn. Can't make millions from the IPO of an obscure startup that has nothing but vaporware. Dang, a get-rich-quick idea, anyone?

- 15 years ago, IPv6 had a solution for problems that don't exist anymore, such as autoconfiguration. Not saying that DHCP is perfect, but the bottom line is that today anyone can walk into any cybercafé in the world with a WiFi laptop and get connected to the Internet without knowing anything about IP. The most annoying part to me is that, in some countries, they ask for your passport. If there was such thing as a license to operate a computer, many patrons at McDonalds or Starbucks would not pass it (not regarding _our_ criteria of computer geeks). Geez, they can't install the operating system or write a script on their own. They're out there now.

- 15 years ago, IPv6 could scare the heck out of deciders by predicting the end of the world because of a shortage of addresses. Hey, it worked with Y2K. No more; IPv4 addresses have mostly expired, the world did not end, and these days not only people are not adopting IPv6 but they are gearing towards GCN instead.

-15 years ago, some people started to pile up IPv4 addresses. They're laughing their bottom off right now. 10 bucks a pop, got a class A to sell? 160 million bucks. Smaller player, a class B. Still 6 million bucks. A class C from the swamp? Too small. But for $10K plus fees, one can find a /22.

-15 years ago, IPv6 was all about getting rid of NAT. Now there are countless IPv6 NAT mechanisms, much more than IPv4.

-15 years ago, some people thought that some level of US government backing would insure deployment success. How do you define success? GOSIP? ADA?

-15 years ago, IPv6 promised a small DFZ because it would have a better multi-homing mechanism (my favorite) (don't get me started on that one).

-15 years ago, nobody would have doubted that IPv6 would be (today, end of 2013) the main protocol in use and we all believed that IPv4 would be in the same league as IPX, Appletalk, Decnet, and so on.

So, 15 years after, IPv6 is nowhere for the reasons you described. One more paper about why IPv6 failed is not going to deploy it. Everyone has tried for the last 15 years, and everyone has failed. Why waste more energy on this? Move on.

It is going to take another 5 or 10 years before the IETF finally acknowledges that IPv6 is a failure. But your IVIP thing is not worth jack crack. You are not even to the point where you realize why. When you have something more that yet-another-miracle, come back to us.

Michel.