Re: IPv6 deployment [was Re: Recent Internet governance events]

> From the apps point of view, that's true; hence we end up with
> heuristics such as Happy Eyeballs. I was referring to ISP
> (or campus) infrastructure, where people have been running
> dual stacks for many years.

as the saying goes, it sucks less

>> (2) The non-straightforward version requires that applications, at
>> least TCP-based applications, be able to make rather complex route
>> optimization decisions about which protocol and addresses to use and
>> make those decisions in a way that completely violates clean layering
>> models.  We have, in general, never figured out how applications are
>> supposed to do that, nor how to make the needed information available
>> to them.
> Probably because there is no general solution to that problem, but
> IMHO you can't fix that without a time machine that takes you back to
> about 1977.

it sucks really badly

> Actually, in the MIF/Homenet world you will find a lot of discussion
> of the need for source/destination based routing.

"this is a really steaming pile.  let's shovel more dren on top of it to
cover it up."

>> Now I'm obviously missing, or misunderstanding, something that allows
>> you to assert that straightforward dual stack is the clear market
>> choice and works well despite the above.  Could you explain what it
>> is?
> As I said, I'm talking about ISP infrastructure, where the issue is
> how to deliver both v4 and v6 service to the customer side of the CPE
> box. For years, ISPs that do this by simply running both protocols
> have been saying that it's straightforward.

i thought this fantasy was killed a decade or more ago.  it requires an
ipv4 address for every cpe.  welcome to a+p, it sucks too.

randy