Re: future of identifiers

On 29 okt 2013, at 10:38, Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have some ideas on what some of these trends might be. But what do the rest of you think? Where is identifier technology going, and what new things are on the horizon? What do we need to do with IDNs? DNSSEC? What will DANE lead to, and how will id-locator split techniques evolve & be deployed? How will applications or users think about identifiers in the future?
>
> More information at http://www.ietf.org/blog/2013/10/future-identifiers/

I think it is important to not restart discussions already held regarding different requirements on identifiers, requirements that in turn lead to various alternatives on how they are allocated, managed and resolved. I do not think one can have one identifier that fits all. Instead multiple kind of identifiers are needed. Because of requirements on uniqueness (absolute, low risk of collisions or not needed at all), persistence, human readable/understandable, whether allocation and resolution should be designed for read (lookups) or write (allocation), what the identifier is to be used for (see id/loc discussions).

    Patrik