Re: Comments from the IAB on NIST SP 800-90A Proceeding

Abdussalam,

> The comment has a statement which I am against;
> IETF standards depend on NIST standards and the process by which they are developed.
>
> The statement contradicts the first, that IETF references also other government algorithms.
> Is this a specific or general dependence? And does IETF standards really depend on NIST standard process and development? Is the statement talking about all IETF security standards?

The point was that some IETF standards do normatively refer to NIST standards. (Look for "NIST" in RFCs and you'll find many hits.)

Of course, IETF standards also depend on many other things, including algorithms developed by others :-)

Hope this clarifies,

Jari