Re: Separate ADs roles from IESG

On 10/21/2013 07:31 PM, Wesley Eddy wrote:
> To the question of splitting the document reviews from the working
> group "management" tasks: When I was an AD, I found the document
> reviews to be very useful in figuring out what was going on in other
> areas that might be related to working groups in the area I was
> responsible for, and in calibrating expectations for documents to
> come out of my area's working groups.
>
> If the document review and working group management roles were
> split, I don't know how the AD doing working group management
> would maintain broader awareness to avoid too much overlap or
> conflict between WGs, or to know what the relevant things to
> look for are in a MIB document, requirements document, etc. that
> their WGs are producing, before sending them to IETF LC.  Certainly
> they could find other ways to do this than reviewing every document
> and sitting in the entire telechat though ...

I think that's a point worth making. The purpose of the
IESG is not to educate ADs, but one side-effect of the
document review is just that, and it does help - I think
I'm less of a dummy about stuff that goes on elsewhere
in the IETF as a result, and I think that an IESG that's
more educated in that way is likely to be a lot better
on the whole.

S.