Re: CHANGE THE JOB (was Re: NOMCOM - Time-Critical - Final Call for Nominations)

On Oct 17, 2013, at 3:50 PM, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 18/10/2013 08:26, Olafur Gudmundsson wrote:
>> some ideas to decrease the work load
>> 	1) Limit on working groups in each area
>> 	2) Less review of documents our outsource reviews
>> 	3) Lower the voting threshold for document to pass
>
> It's already pretty low, considering that one valid meaning
> of 'No objection' is 'I trust the sponsoring AD'. That
> option should perhaps be used more often.

idea: 3 Yes votes overwrite 1 Discuss

>> 	4) Reduce hurdles in processing
>
> Please be specific.

Charter updates take too long and take strange turns.
Easier to kill bad documents by outright
rejection of Publication Requests.

>> 	5) Assign tasks to different bodies
>
> The problem with that is that more bodies need more volunteers,
> so the problem is not guaranteed to go away. But as we've said
> *many* times, truly delegating document review would make a big
> difference.

Well we have GenArt and Security review teams, they and similar bodies
could do initial processing of Publication requests.

>> 	6) More competent WG chairs
>> 	7) Pick AD's that are less likely to nit pick documents
>> 	8) ignore process nazi's and streamline process.
>
> Again, please be specific. For example, ignoring dissent and consensus
> forming will generally speaking increase the workload in the long run.

We had the long standing down-ref problem, it went away, but something like that
keeps creeping up again and again. Someone say we can not do "X" because document "Y" says so.

>> 	9) Ignore external bodies
>
> We can't. But we can insist that liaison is handled by the
> liaison managers.

>>      10) Cut the number of AD's fewer people fewer arguments
>
> You really can't do that without dramatically cutting the number
> of WGs. If we had 50 WGs we'd have fewer ADs, or their workloads
> would be much less.

For example last years Nomcom had hard time to find a Transport AD,
why do all area's have to have 2 other than balance?

	Olafur