Re: NOMCOM - Time-Critical - Final Call for Nominations

On Oct 17, 2013, at 1:11 PM, Melinda Shore <melinda.shore@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I suspect that there are companies out there who would view
> this as giving them better "access" (i.e. the ability to apply
> political pressure).  Not really very fond of this idea.

It would have to be a formal commitment of resources that couldn't be rescinded for the duration of the AD's term.   I suppose there would still be the possibility of the AD doing something to try to retain the position after the end of the term, but I think the job is not so much fun that this would be a real issue.   I think the current funding mechanism creates a much more substantial possibility of companies thinking they will get "access," because in fact they do.   I have heard of at least one former AD being influenced in this way (no, I won't tell you which one, and I don't have proof that it happened, just hearsay).