Re: [payload] Last Call: <draft-ietf-payload-vp8-08.txt> (RTP Payload Format for VP8 Video) to Proposed Standard

Cullen Jennings (fluffy) wrote:
I can't imagine how I could implement the frame buffers in VP8 in VLSI without having an upper limit on both the width and height of the image. How do you deal with that?

The one hardware VP8 decoder I have any experience with so far is mostly throughput-limited, not resolution limited (nor even limited by the number of streams... I was surprised to find this out, too). There are width/height limits, I'm sure, just because the size of the addresses must be finite, but they're not the bottleneck on any video you'd actually want to send. I could easily see how that might not be true on all (or even most) hardware implementations, however.

I don't know if you ever got the Google VHDL code for VP8 but I have never got it so I don't know what it does but if you do, that would be great.

No, I dropped the ball here, so I don't know what it does either.