Re: Bringing back Internet transparency

Hi Noel,

On 30.07.2013 15:23, Noel Chiappa wrote:
> I hear you, but... this is not a simple problem.

Yes, and I wasn't expecting it to be simple...

> I think we need to start by understanding what drives the creation and
> deployment of these devices. I think the answer to that has to be that some
> people have needs that aren't being met by the IETF, and so there's an
> opportunity for private entities to create and sell 'solutions'.

Agree, that would be one possible action...

> The IETF doesn't have a police force, or any enforcement mechanism. If we're

Yep, that's true and I'm fully aware of it.

> going to head off these boxes, the only tool we have to do that is to build
> better mousetraps - i.e. design stuff that does what people want, is more
> cost-effective, and is better than these local 'point deployment' boxes.

... NAT ...

> is both ugly _and_ brittle [because it's not part of an architected _system_],
> difficult to work with because it [mostly] lacks any external control
> interface, etc.)

That is a little bit more along my direction. Maybe we can at least give
advice what to strictly avoid and how to leave a path open for
innovation, e.g., do expect that other transport protocols may exist in
the future, so do not assume that only TCP and UDP are in use, or:
be prepared to process/bypass extension headers etc.

> So, sorry, I don't have a simple solution to what I concede is a real problem.
> But it's a complicated problem -> no simple solution.

I wasn't expecting that. :-)

Regards,
 Roland