Re: Remote participants, newcomers, and tutorials

On 30/07/2013 06:18, John C Klensin wrote:

> --On Monday, July 29, 2013 01:37 -0400 Brian Haberman
> <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> One of the things that I ask the Internet Area chairs to do is
>> send in a summary of their WG after each IETF meeting.  Those
>> summaries generally give folks a good idea of the current
>> state of each WG.  I post those summaries on the Internet Area
>> wiki.  An alternative that would work as well is to have each
>> WG post summaries to their own wikis.  Each WG has a wiki
>> available via their Tools page (e.g.,
>> http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/6man/trac/wiki).
>>
>> I like seeing the summaries from my chairs and I have gotten
>> feedback from participants that they find them quite useful
>> for keeping up with WGs that are tangential to their primary
>> focus.  I would encourage every WG chair to periodically
>> summarize the state of their WG/drafts.
>
> Dave and a few other ancients will recall that there was a time
> when there was a requirement for ADs to put together per-meeting
> "Area Reports", which went into the minutes.

These were put together from WG Chair's session reports, which
were (and are) mandatory under RFC 2418 (BCP 25):

      Immediately after a session, the WG Chair MUST provide the Area
      Director with a very short report (approximately one paragraph,
      via email) on the session.

That's not quite the same as a WG status report, but makes a good start.

   Brian

Unless ADs were