From: Tim Bray [mailto:tbray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, July 20, 2013 04:07 PM Central Standard Time
To: Scott Brim <scott.brim@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Andrew Allen; ietf@xxxxxxxx <ietf@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Last call: draft-montemurro-gsma-imei-urn-16.txt

Except that for normal usages at the application level, the UUID is generated by the app and placed in its private per-app storage, which is always erased on a factory-reset.  To Andrew Allen: I strongly recommend factory-resetting your phone before you sell it, and also factory-resetting any phones you buy second-hand, just to be sure.  Most people do this, for good reason. -T

On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 1:55 PM, Scott Brim <scott.brim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 4:08 PM, Andrew Allen <aallen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Tim
>
> The quote is from RFC 5626 which also states:
>
> "3.1. Summary of Mechanism
>
> Each UA has a unique instance-id that stays the same for this UA even if the
> UA reboots or is power cycled."
>
> Since the UUID in the instance ID is also static how is this significantly
> different in terms of privacy concerns from the IMEI being used as an
> instance ID?

You're not demonstrating that an IMEI is just as good, you're
demonstrating that a UUID is just as bad.