Re: IAB Statement on Dotless Domains

On 7/13/2013 11:27 AM, Noel Chiappa wrote:
     > From: "Livingood, Jason" <Jason_Livingood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

     > FWIW, I think for most larger companies with multi-billion dollar
     > revenues streams it is less about the up-front fees to apply &
     > operationalize a gTLD than the long term business potential.

I guess I'm missing something. How exactly is having a gTLD going to bring in
the Big Bucks? Do people actually type addresses into the address bars on
their browsers any more, or do they just type what they're looking for into
the search bar?

	Noel

Define people. The layman will not type the protocol (http://), and the auto-suggestion technology is so advanced, you will get multiple different sets of results that may or may not include the DNS solution as the first part of the result.

Try typing out my domain, winserver.com. First timers will not get the WINSERVER.COM web site, but Microsoft's WIN SERVER 201x and/or WINDOWS SERVER web sites first.

Overall, while I believe winserver and winserver.com are technically different as with winserver.net, winserver.org, etc, I think it would be unfair if a dotless WINSERVER dns entry was prevailing over my winserver.com domain. Perhaps an I-D describing a BCP for searching orders will help, if not already, available. If Dotless domains are to be inter-networking ready as it already in used for intra-networking operations, then perhaps it should be a FALLBACK answer to the .com, .net, org lookup.

--
HLS