Re: NOMCOM 2013-14 Volunteering - 3rd and Final Call for Volunteers

On 7/2/2013 9:59 AM, Donald Eastlake wrote:
I do not
believe that the noncom is intended to be or should be a
"representative" sample from those who just barely qualify as eligible
to be volunteers under the current rules.

Why is the "quality" of volunteers ignored in comparison with the
quantity? No doubt many will strongly object to my use of "quality"
but by that I mean understanding of the IETF culture and the IETF goal
of benefiting the Internet community and a goodly amount of experience
with IETF processes.

Most IETF participants have relatively little direct knowledge of IETF management and process. So a larger pool of recent meeting attendees is merely likely to get more people without an experiential base for judging IETF management candidates.

When the qualification rule was develop for Nomcom, most attendees were regulars with broad and deep knowledge of IETF technology and the group's operation. The simplistic rule didn't need to worry about real experience; almost everyone attending had it. That changed quite a few years ago.

Until we make sure Nomcom's have at least a minimal number of people experienced with the workings of IETF process, we will continue to risk a Nomcom composed of people having literally no such knowledge.

The risk is actually a certainty, over time, given how statistical sampling works, over time.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking