Re: The Nominating Committee Process: Eligibility

On 06/27/2013 02:24 PM, Michael Richardson wrote:

> Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>     > However, before getting into that I'd like to hear from
>     > folks who've been on or chaired nomcoms. I know a lot of
>     > it is done remotely, but how important is the f2f part
>     > that happens during meetings? Would it really be ok if
>     > say 5 voting members could never come to a meeting
>     > whilst serving? (And I think that'd not be an unlikely
>     > outcome.)
>
> Please note two things:
> 1) under the original proposal and my revised one, you have
>    attend in person somewhat regularly.
>
> 2) for the November meeting, the nomcom *itself* must be present.

Tend to agree.

>    I think it unrealistic to think that the nomcom itself could
>    be remote for that meeting.  For the summer and march meeting,
>    the nomcom could be anywhere.

Not this year:-)

> so, even if you are eligible, don't volunteer for the nomcom if you can't
> attend the november meeting.

But doesn't that run counter to one aspect of SM's otherwise
reasonable goal? (And if getting randomly picked for nomcom
implied some I* thing has to pay your way to the Nov meeting,
then this is IMO a *much* larger change proposal.)

S.