Re: IAOC Website Updated

---- Original Message -----
From: "Brian E Carpenter" <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "t.p." <daedulus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "ietf" <ietf@xxxxxxxx>; <iaoc@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 9:26 PM
> Tom,
>
> On 25/06/2013 22:48, t.p. wrote:
> > The main impression that this page has on me is that this is a part
of
> > the IETF,
>
> Yes. It is a committee set up by the IETF (with help from ISOC).

but then I read
"The IETF Administrative Oversight Committee (IAOC) ...is housed within
the Internet Society"
which makes it part of the ISOC and so I would expect the web site to
reflect
that, with an ISOC logo somewhere.

And when I click on the navigation, IETF-Home, I get .... IAOC!!!
whereas on all other pages with that style of navigation I get, well ,
IETF-Home (what should I expect)

Also, from the (real) IETF-Home, a natural starting point for the
uninitiated, there are six links to related sites, one of which is
tagged IASA/IAOC/Trust which leads direct to this site which is then
IAOC only.  Poor navigation IMO; I think it should lead to something
that
clarifies the existence and relationship of those three (which could
well be this web page expanded a little).

In passing, the IETF Trust home page may lack fancy bells and whistles
but is so much clearer.  It is what a web page should be (when judged by
content).

> > The very brief description - "the fiscal and administrative
support" -
> > makes me think of taxes (and tax avoidance)
>
> The word "fiscal" means either pertaining to taxes or pertaining to
> financial matters. It's quite appropriate - the IAOC oversees the
budget,
> and would undoubtedly oversee the handling of any tax matters that
came
> up despite ISOC's not-for-profit status.

Disagree.  The last five years have seen extensive use of fiscal in the
media, and it there refers to tax and expenditure, the contrast being
with monetary, interest rates and printing money; there are plenty of
other words in our language that I think more generic - financial (as
you just used:-)?

> > while the link to an RFC,
> > which starts with loads of irrelevant - to the likely reader of this
> > page (I assume someone relatively new to the work of this SDO) -
>
> I don't see that at all. The Introduction of the RFC gives a
> pretty good summary of IASA's job and the IAOC's role. Anyway,
> this is not particularly intended for newcomers. We don't even
> mention IASA on the newcomers page. Do you think we should?

If you get to the Introduction..  Try to look at this with uninitiated
eyes - you know it is boiler plate and pass over it probably without
realising that you are doing so.  An innocent eye may see ... what a
load of *** and switch off.

(I am not uninitiated in these matters, but would like others who are to
find it easier to understand what it is that I am involved with, which
is what is driving me in this).

> > boilerplate is enough to make anyone reach for the off-switch, and
> > guaranteed to do so if they get as far as IAD, IASA, ISOC, etc.
> > Alphabet
> > soup indeed!
> >
> > I have tried - and failed - to produce a paragraph which summarises
what
> > IAOC is.
>
> To my mind the phrase "The IETF Administrative Oversight Committee"
> is completely self defining, as in "The IETF Administrative Oversight
> Committee oversees the administration of the IETF."

Well no, oversight of what?  An administrative committee (if that is not
prolix) that "oversights" the IETF or a committee that "oversights" the
IETF Administrative.  Your second formulation
"The IETF Administrative Oversight Committee oversees the administration
of the IETF."
is so much clearer (to the uninitiated).

Tom Petch

> OOPS Ray - fix that "Oversite" typo!!!! And the sentence should
> also state that IAOC is part of IASA.
>
> > I would start with the need of the IETF for e-mail and web
> > servers, and a few other bits and pieces such as legal advice and
> > ownership of rights, then the need for money to fund that, where the
> > money comes from and how the expenditure is supervised and where
ISOC