Re: [IETF] Re: IETF, ICANN and non-standards

On Jun 19, 2013, at 3:43 PM, "John Levine" <johnl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I think this is the correct strategy, BUT, I see as a very active participant in ICANN
>> (chair of SSAC) that work in ICANN could be easier if some "more" technical standards where
>> developed in IETF, and moved forward along standards track, that ICANN can reference.
>
> As a concrete example, the EPP systems used in production by TLD
> registries use extensions that are documented only in I-Ds, often
> expired I-Ds, or in dusty I-D like web documents.  If you look at the
> applications for new TLDs on the ICANN web site at
> https://gtldresult.icann.org/application-result/applicationstatus you
> will find that nearly all of them plan to use EPP extensions not
> described in an RFC.  Most of these extensions should be utterly
> uncontroversial, e.g., one to synchronize renewal dates among multiple
> domains, or another to tell a client that its credit balance has
> dropped below a threshold.
>
> Assuming we care about stability and interoperability, wouldn't it
> make sense for the IETF to spin up a WG, collect these drafts, clean
> up the language, make sure they agree with the widely implemented
> reality, and publish them?

I realize you were asking a larger question, but..

If we do, I volunteer to help collect, review, clean up, check and push them along.

--
"Working the ICANN process is like being nibbled to death by ducks,
it takes forever, it doesn't make sense, and in the end we're still dead in the water."