Re: Not Listening to the Ops Customer

It was more complicated. I was actually running a team that ran site
network ops at the time, and (since DHCP was not yet deployable),
IPv4 was then a serious nuisance to manage, compared say to Novell
Netware and, even, Appletalk. There were good reasons we wanted
stateless auto-configuration

Brian,

Not picking on you here, in fact I'm agreeing with you regarding the early days. In '94 SLAAC/RA was a good idea, and remains a good idea for "dumb" devices that only need to know their network and gateway to be happy.

What continues to astonish however is that 15 years after DHCP took off for IPv4 the IPv6 luminati are still singing the 2-verse song, "You must use SLAAC," and "You may not have full-featured DHCPv6."

Whatever good intentions were in place 20 years ago (and I do not doubt that they were good intentions), the situation right now is beyond absurd, and serves as an excellent example of why a non-trivial number of operators don't take the IETF seriously.

Doug