Re: financial fun with an IETF Meeting in South America

On 27 May 2013, at 05:15, "John Levine" <johnl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The move appears to be related to new, restrictive
regulations the Argentine government has imposed on currency exchanges.'
According to the Telegraph, 'The new regulations required anyone wanting
to change Argentine pesos into another currency to submit an online
request for permission to AFIP, the Argentine equivalent of HM Revenue &
Customs. ..."

This isn't likely to change soon.

Going into the country isn't the problem, more importantly it seems that if you don't spend all your pesos in Argentina, you can't change them back to your own currency:

(see last paragraph)

I just keep a pool of Euros and dollars (US and Canadian) which I never change back to my own currency, as I visit these countries a fair bit, but it is a concern to pick a venue where any cash I get in advance is lost if unspent.

Is this above advice from Tripadvisor correct?

Tim