Re: IETF Meeting in South America

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lou Berger" <lberger@xxxxxxxx>
To: "Yoav Nir" <ynir@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <ietf@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, May 24, 2013 5:07 PM
Subject: Re: IETF Meeting in South America

> > For Americans, is it much more expensive than a trip to Prague?
>
> I just happen to be looking at flights for berlin at the moment.  BA
is
> pretty much the same +-$1600 if I'm willing to take an extra hop,
closer
> to $2K for one hop.
>
> I generally find going to Europe in the summer to be pretty expensive
so
> am not sure this is the best comparison.  As metioned elsewhere in
this
> thread, time of year does matter.
>
> I personally am a big fan for going to uninteresting locations in
their
> off season. Although, perhaps I'm alone in liking Minneapolis in the
> winter as an IETF destination...

No, it is my favourite too (although Atlanta runs it close).  I would
not recommend London in the winter though, as it can be short of snow
ploughs:-(

Tom Petch

> Lou
>
> On 5/24/2013 11:28 AM, Yoav Nir wrote:
> > I used Expedia to price flights for me on March 2014:
> >  - Buenos Aires: $1401 (21h each way)
> >  - London (where the meeting actually happens): $413 (7h each way.
Direct costs a bit more)
> >  - Vancouver: $1217 (24 h each way????? $1288 with a more reasonable
16h)
> >  - Honululu: $1535 (28h each way)
> >  - Melbourne (to minimize the pain for Mark): $2155 (36h)
> >  - Minneapolis: $1020 (18h)
> >
> > So Buenos Aires is not much more painful than some other
destinations we've been talking about, and I believe the same will be
true for most Europeans. For Americans, is it much more expensive than a
trip to Prague?