Re: Deployment of standards compliant nameservers

In message <9506594E9E3CB989AFBC02A8@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, John C Klensin writes:

> --On Wednesday, May 22, 2013 12:29 +0000 Yoav Nir
> <ynir@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >> Occasional fantasies about IETF enforcement power and the
> >> Protocol Police notwithstanding, it seems to me that, if one
> >> wanted to require standards-conforming nameservers, the most
> >> (and maybe only) effective way to do that would be
> >> requirements in the contractual agreements between TLD
> >> registries and their registrants.  Recursively applying
> >> requirements down the tree is not a new idea; RFC 1591 uses
> >> that language more than once.
> >
> > We should be careful about requiring things like this (for
> > whatever value of "we"). Recursively applying requirements
> > means that "we" are requiring service providers (in this case
> > registries) to pick fights with their customers. So instead of
> > having an IETF protocol police, "we" expect service providers
> > to act as local sheriffs.
> > Seems like a tough sell to me.
>
> Actually, I was thinking about something a little different (and
> should have been more explicit).
>
> I wouldn't suggest trying to mandate anything top-down.  If
> nothing else, ICANN's track record for being able to enforce its
> mandates is very poor (and that is arguably a good thing).

Asking people to run a nameserver which "responds" to queries isn't
unreasonable by any stretch of the imagination regardless of their
economic circumstances.  The nameservers that people used in the
1980's did this correctly.  The default nameservers on general
purpose OS as shipped for the last 2 decades have done this correctly.

This includes free and commercial operating systems.

The one exception I am aware of is a Windows release where the server
responds to the first EDNS query but not to subsequent EDNS queries.
This only becomes a issue when the first response is lost or multiple
recursive servers share the same IP address.  Microsoft has fixed
this issue in later releases.  I am not sure if there is a service
pack that fixes this.

Requiring vendors to supply fixes to code that was never "fit for
purpose" regardless of its age is also reasonable.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka@xxxxxxx