Re: Deployment of standards compliant nameservers

In message <20130521090727.GB17630@xxxxxx>, Stephane Bortzmeyer writes:
> On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 10:26:39AM +1000,
>  Mark Andrews <marka@xxxxxxx> wrote
>  a message of 52 lines which said:
>
> > I'm not sure what the solution should be but regular audits of
> > delegated nameservers by infrastructure operator and removal of
> > delegations after a grace period
>
> Let's not reinvent the wheel: I suggest to first study the experience
> of the TLD which did exactly that. .fr had mandatory technical tests
> of the name servers almost from its inception, until december
> 2012. The tool used for the tests was Zonecheck
> <http://www.zonecheck.fr/>
>
> Although these tests certainly contributed to the good technical
> quality of the name servers, they were removed both for commercial
> reasons (a registry has to make money to pay its employees) and
> because it was easier to have the same rules for ccTLDs and gTLDs (and
> ICANN forbids these technical tests in gTLDs).

Which is one of the reasons I wanted to IESG to bring ICANN into
the discussions.  It need to be a level playing field applied to
everyone.  Not also this is not checking the delegation.  It is
checking to nameserver implementation.  All ICANN documents I have
read presume that a RFC compliant nameservers are being deployed.

Nameservers that fail to respond are not RFC compliant.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka@xxxxxxx