Re: article on innovation and open standards

> From: Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> Just FYI that I wrote another article, this time on "permissionless
> innovation" and the role of open standards.

A nice summary!

    No permit had to be applied [for], no new network had to be built,
    and no commercial negotiation with other parties was needed when
    Facebook started, for instance.

And one consequence is, "No incumbent could value-price its services
so as to extract the added value created by Facebook."  But I don't
think that would be very popular at the ITU!

The critical difference is that the IETF is an organization of
*buyers* rather than an organization of *sellers*.

Dale