ways forward with the tail-heavy aspects of the IETF process

I wanted to send an update, after having discussed this topic in the IESG retreat that we just had here in Dublin. The overall plan is to start with three specific changes listed below. Note that these are approaches that we have discussed, and more detailed plans will be developed in the coming weeks.

1. Send more documents back to the WG to complete the necessary changes. While the responsibility for changes has always been at the WG, the documents were still in the IESG process. The IESG felt that particularly in situations where changes are large or multiple, it would be useful to make the situation about WG ownership even clearer. We will do this by handing the document back to the WG and getting the IESG out of the loop, with the instruction that the chairs should manage the process and address the issues raised in the IETF last call and by the ADs.

2. Moving some directorate reviews earlier, to WG last call time as opposed to IETF last call or IESG review. With the intent of not increasing the number of reviews.

3. Start inviting the document shepherds (i..e., usually WG chairs) to some of the telechats where the IESG discusses their documents.

While these changes do not by themselves decrease the amount of work done in the final stages, we believe they make the role of the working group more central, and as such, contribute to improving the tail-heavy situation in the long run. We will work further in the IESG and affected parties on the details. One obvious question is how various directorates feel about the changes, and how we avoid increasing workload for them.

Jari