RE: Effects on DNS can be severe &&& Re: call for ideas: tail-heavy IETF process

S Moonesamy wrote:

> >I have not followed this discussion, but my cursory read of the tracker
> >ticket shows the WG blew off the issue by claiming that historical
> >unsophisticated attacks can be easily thwarted, while completely
> >ignoring the case where the target domains exist. Aborting an
> >amplification attack on failures does not do anything about the case
> >where an attacker goes to the trouble to make sure all the quires will
> >return valid answers. Either the issue-tracker discussion is
> >inadequate, or this is exactly the kind of thing that adds excess delay
and
> workload to the IESG review process.
>
> It seems that the above is related to Issue #24 [1].  I posted a rough
summary
> of the initial discussion [2].  I took a look at the IETF 83 minutes and I
found
> "DNS amplification attacks" [3] mentioned.  There was a message from
> Andrew Sullivan [4].
>
> A working group may decide to blow off the issue if it wants.  The issue
can
> be listed in the write-up.

Yes it can, and they often do. The question in this case is more about the
way that was documented, and Douglas' effective call for a wider review of
the decision. It may simply be the wording in the issue tracker, but reading
that the effective message is:
   "a security issue was raised, and a subset of the potential attack is
easily mitigated, therefore the WG is dropping it"
There may well be more to it, and I said I have not been following it. The
point is that 'outside reviewers' will not be immersed in past discussion,
so what and why should be clear. I purposefully tied this to the ongoing
IESG process discussion, because it is a prime example of why post-WG
discussions take longer than expected, and may result in changes.

Tony