Re: call for ideas: tail-heavy IETF process

On Fri, 2013-05-03 at 14:27 +0100, Stephen Farrell wrote:
> On 05/03/2013 01:59 PM, Thomas Narten wrote:
> >
> > If you look at the delays documents encounter (both in WG and in IESG
> > review), the killer is long times between document revisions. Focus on
> > understanding the *why* behind that and what steps could be taken to
> > make improvements.
>
> Good point. I guess the obvious answers are "not enough
> cycles"
and not enough "concentrated cycles" - designing and documenting a
protocol in my experience requires a longish period of undisturbed
concentration by the person with the editing crayon, and responsive,
deep and immediate review by co-authors to generate fast turn round
reviews of versions.
Its hard enough keeping the in-brain implementation of the protocol
running accurately day-by-day.  If there are gaps of weeks rebooting the
implementation wastes precious concentrated time.  Probably putting a
few people with no other commitments in a isolated space generates
fastest results. Maybe we could get ISOC to provide a retreat space (or
one per continent) for protocol designers?
> and, for newer authors, uncertainty about how to
> get stuff done, but are there other less obvious answers?
> (Input here might really help the IESG discussion btw since
> in the nature of things, we're less likely to realise what
> newer or less frequent participants find problematic.)
One thing that might help:
We have directorates and review panels.  Can we distil any/more of their
wisdom into checklists/guidance for protocol writers?
Some is already there (not a complete list):
BCP 72 for security considerations
BCP 41 on congestion control
BCP 61 on Strong Security Requirements
Some stuff in RFC 6385 for gen-art

[Some of this is getting a bit long in the tooth.]

So what do you ...
- think about when designing the security aspects/transport congestion
aspects/... of a new protocol?
- what triggers alarm bells/gold stars when you are reviewing the
general principles/security aspects/congestion/ABNF/state
machines/mib/xml/extensibility/.... of a draft?

Regards,
Elwyn