Re: Gen-ART LC Review of draft-ietf-6man-stable-privacy-addresses-06

Hi, Ben,

On 04/25/2013 09:44 PM, Ben Campbell wrote:
>>> -- section 3, 2nd paragraph from end:
>>>
>>> You describe the affects of including Network_ID in some detail.
>>> It would be helpful to note the consequences of _not_ including
>>> it.
>>
>> Well, should we really do it? -- after all, you MUST include it.
>
> Hmm. Section 3 says Network_ID is optional.

Ooops, sorry -- you're right! I was thinking about the prefix, rather
than the Network_ID. I will address this in the next rev.

>>> -- 1, paragraph 11: "This document does not update..."
>>>
>>> How is adding an alternative algorithm _not_ an update?
>>
>> Well, you still send an RS, receive an RA, and generate an IID.
>>
>> Me, I'd probably update RFC 4862, so that we make sure that folks
>> implementing SLAAC take a look at this document, but....
>
> ...?
>
> (The reason you mention is one of the best reasons I can think of to
> call it an update--but if the working group consciously chose not to
> make it an update, I can live with it.)

I'm not sure whether this was "consciously chosen" -- I will check with
a few folks about their thoughts (for the most part, I wouldn't want to
trigger a controversy just because of this).

>>> --1, paragraph 12: "... may already address"
>>>
>>> Is the "already addressing" part in question? Or is it a matter
>>> of addressing it in some circumstances, but not others? If the
>>> latter, it would help to elaborate.
>>
>> Not sure what you mean. The idea is that, in many scenarios,
>> draft-ietf-stable-privacy-addresses may be good enough to address
>> your privacy concerns.
>
> The way it's worded, it looks like you think it might address the
> concerns, but aren't sure. I doubt that's the intent. Simply saying
> "may address certain privacy concerns", or "in some circumstances,
> will address...". OTOH, elaborating on the specific concerns
> addressed would be even better. Do you mean to say it addresses the
> concerns already mentioned in this draft? If so, you could use
> language stronger than "may".
>
> Your answer to my next comment is instructive for this as well.

Ok, I will add some text about this.

>>> -- references: RFC1948 is obsoleted by 6528. Is there a reason to
>>> reference the obsolete version?
>>
>> Yes: RFC1948 is only referenced in the Acks section, where I note
>> that this document was inspired by Bellovin's work on RFC1948.
>> While RFC6528 obsoletes RFC1948, the algorithm in that RFC is the
>> same as that in RFC1948.
>
> So 6528 equally illustrates Steve Bellovin's  work, and is also more
> current, right?

Yes. But I'm a co-author of RFC 6528 -- so it'd be a bit arrogant (and
incorrect) to say that I was inspired by RFC 6528 :-) -- I was inspired
by Bellovin, rather than myself. :-)

Thanks!

Best regards,
--