Last Call: <draft-sheffer-running-code-04.txt>

Greetings, all,

The idea put forth in this document seems quite useful, and the scope is appropriate for a process experiment, so I support its publication.

I have only one comment on the content. In applying this to my own documents and WGs, I'd tend to prefer the "alternate" mechanism described in section 3, even without any of the conditions there necessarily applying.

A single reference to a more-easily updatable source like a wiki seems, in general, to be easier to manage than a section in a document which may have an irregular update schedule, especially as revision N of a document will necessarily report on the status of non-author implementations of the protocol as of revision N-1 or before. As the section is designed to be removed before publication anyway, there's no issue with references to sources without proper change control in the resulting RFC, and some WGs/communities may find it useful to keep the implementation status portion of the wiki up and current even after publication. So I'd reverse the sense of "preferred" and "alternate" here, though that's probably just a matter of personal taste.

In any case, this is an experiment, so we should try out both inline implementation status and implementation status by-reference, and see which works best in which situations.

Best regards,

Brian