Re: last call comments for draft-ietf-6man-stable-privacy-addresses-06

Hi, SM,

On 04/22/2013 12:53 PM, SM wrote:

> From Section 1:
>
>   'The "Privacy Extensions for Stateless Address Autoconfiguration in
>    IPv6" [RFC4941] were introduced to complicate the task of
>    eavesdroppers and other information collectors to correlate the
>    activities of a node, and basically result in temporary (and random)
>    Interface Identifiers that are typically more difficult to leverage
>    than those based on IEEE identifiers.'
>
> There are some warnings in RFC 4941 about correlation.  I don't see any
> notes about that in this draft.

PLease see the Appendix.

> My reading of this proposal is that it
> is to mitigate address scanning.  I could not find any guidance on
> whether to use RFC 4941 or this draft for "privacy addresses".

Privacy addresses are employed in addition to traditional SLAAC
addresses -- hence they don't mitigate address scanning. FWIW, this is
all discussed in the I-D.

>   "Implementations conforming to this specification SHOULD provide the
>    means for a system administrator to enable or disable the use of this
>    algorithm for generating Interface Identifiers."
>
> If the implementation does not provide the means for the administrator
> to enable or disable the use of the algorithm, does it conform to this
> specification?

It'd be "conditionally-compliant", but not fully-compliant.

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks