Re: [nfsv4] Last Call: <draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc3530bis-25.txt> (Network File System (NFS) Version 4 Protocol) to Proposed Standard

I have not yet completed a full review of this (320-page) document, and I worry that I may not finish before the deadline, so I am bringing this concern to your attention now.

Section 3.2.1.1 of this document ("Kerberos V5 as a security triple") seems to indicate that it is mandatory for a conformant NFSv4 implementation to implement the Kerberos V5 GSS-API mechanism and a few "security triples" (mechanism,quality of protection,service). All of the mandatory-to-implement security triples use the DES-MAC-MD5 algorithm. The draft goes on to indicate that clients should engage in security negotiation (section 3.3) to determine what security to use for bulk operation, and that since kerberos-v5 under RPCSEC_GSS is mandatory, the negotiation will be performed using that security provider. The actual mechanism resulting from the negotiation may be different (or may be the same), but this single-DES mechanism seems to be required to be used to protect the negotiation step.

Given that the kerberos working group has published RFC 6649 (Deprecate DES, RC4-HMAC-EXP, and Other Weak Cryptographic Algorithms in Kerberos) and single-DES is known to be critically vulnerable to brute-force attacks, I have grave concern about the IETF publishing new standards documents that mandate the implementation of single-DES and do not specify strong cryptographic algorithms. I feel that to do so would be misleading implementors into believing that single-DES is sufficient and other mechanisms need not be implemented, when in reality this is not true.

Sincerely,

Ben Kaduk
MIT Kerberos Consortium